Golf Cart (PTV) Ordinance Information
Golf Cart (Also known as PTV) means any motor vehicle:
- With a minimum of four wheels;
- Capable of a maximum level ground speed of less than 20 miles per hour;
- With a maximum gross vehicle weight, un-laded or empty weight, of 1,375 pounds; and
- Capable of transporting not more than eight persons.
The term does not include any mobility aids, including power wheelchairs and scooters, which can be used indoors and outdoors for the express purpose of enabling mobility for a person with a disability. The term also does not include any all-terrain vehicle, which means any motorized vehicles designed for off-road use which is equipped with three or more low pressure tires and with a seat to be straddled by the operator with handle-bars for steering control
REMEMBER TO BE SAFE!
- DUI and Open Container laws are still enforced on PTVs.
- Reckless Driving running red lights, and other moving violations are enforced on PTVs.
- Proper lighting equipment including turn signals, brake lights, taillights, and headlights are required on PTVs.
- PTVs are not allowed on sidewalks.
- All occupants of PTVs must remain seated during operation.
- Proof of insurance should be maintained in the PTV at all times.
- A valid driver’s license is required by law to operate a PTV on public roads.
- All PTVs must be registered and receive a decal at the Acworth Police Department before they may be operated.
- The registration permit from the Acworth Police Department shall be maintained on the PTV at all times.
- Permit decal must remain on the vehicle at all times and be located on the left rear bumper. It shall remain visible at all times.
Current proof of liability insurance coverage shall be maintained in the PTV when operated and available for inspection upon request. Minimum coverage 25 -50 -25.
Authorized operation area means a public roadway of the City of Acworth or city maintained paved trail system that:
- Has a posted speed limit of 25 miles per hour or less;
- Is not designated as part of either the State or federal highway system;
- Has not been designated as an unauthorized street by ordinance or resolution by the Acworth City Counsel.
Each PTV shall be maintained in working order and kept in good condition and shall be subject to inspection by city officials and/or the Acworth Police Department at reasonable times and intervals.
- Must stay on authorized streets or trail systems: will have a posted speed limit of 25 miles per hour or less.
- Only those with a valid motor vehicle driver’s license and who are 16 years of age or older may drive a PTV.
- Drivers of PTVs shall abide by all traffic regulations applicable to vehicular traffic when using authorized streets.
- PTV shall not be operated to transport more than eight (8) persons.
- A PTV shall not be operated on the side - walks at any time.
- Every driver of a PTV shall be granted all the rights and shall be subject to all of the rules of the road and duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle.
- All PTVs are entitled to the full use of a lane on the authorized streets and parking areas of the city and no motor vehicle shall be driven in such a manner as to deprive any PTV of the full use of a lane.
- The driver of a PTV shall not overtake and pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken.
- The driver of a PTV operating on an authorized street may cross a state or federal route only at intersections that have been designated for such purposes by the Georgia Department of Transportation.
- The registration permit can be revoked if the owner/driver fails to abide by ordinances regarding PTVs, or abide by traffic laws in using a PTV.
- All laws and ordinances relative to alcohol and its use, including open container laws, which apply to traffic on the streets of the City shall also apply to drivers and occupants of PTVs.
- All drivers and passengers must re -main seated at all times during the operation of the PTV. No person may sit on the driver ’s lap during the operation of the PTV.
REQUIRED PTV EQUIPMENT
- Head lights
- Reflex reflectors
- Tail lights
- A horn
- A rear-view mirror
- Main power switch
- Reverse warning device functional at all times when the directional control is in the reverse position.
- Braking system including parking brake
- Safety warning labels
- Hip restraints and hand holds or a combination thereof